Brinker International, Inc. Releases First Sustainability Report Highlighting New Goals for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Parent company of Chili’s® Grill & Bar and Maggiano’s Little Italy® aims to increase diverse leadership representation and Team Member earnings.
DALLAS, Sept. 30, 2021 – Today, Brinker International, Inc. (NYSE: EAT) released their 2021 Sustainability Report outlining impact, progress and goals across four strategic pillars: Passionate People, Great Food, Better World and Responsible Governance.
“Creating a better world is built into our culture and passion of making people feel special,” said Wyman Roberts, president and chief executive officer. “We know that making people feel special extends beyond the things we do for individual Team Members and Guests to what we do for the communities and the world in which they live. This report represents a new chapter in our commitment to environmental, social and governance issues and reporting.”
Headlining the report is Brinker’s commitment to Passionate People with progress and new goals for diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I), wellbeing, benefits, development and retention.
Highlights from fiscal year 2021:
- Increased diverse representation at the restaurant operations leadership level to 35 percent
- Launched three new DE&I programs: Leadership Listens Series, Leaders Leading Through Diversity and an Executive Cohort
- Rewarded Hourly Team Members with more than $3.8 million in retention bonuses.
- Increased average hourly pay, including tips, to $16.95
- Promoted 2,011 Hourly Team Members to management positions as Certified Shift Leaders
- Raised $10 million for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital® toward a total contribution of $88 million throughout the partnership
New goal highlights:
- Increase diverse representation at the restaurant operations leadership level to 40 percent by fiscal year 2025
- Increase female representation at the restaurant operations leadership level to 45 percent by fiscal year 2025
- Increase average hourly Team Member earnings, including tips, to $18 per hour by fiscal year 2023
- Increase Chili’s General Manager total earnings to $100,000 on average by fiscal year 2025
- Promote at least 80% of Chili’s Managers and 90% of Chili’s General Managers from internal candidates in fiscal year 2022
“Who we are and what we do at Brinker is deeply rooted in support and kindness,” said Tammy Jones-Still, vice president of diversity, equity and inclusion. “Our goals and commitments to Passionate People represent the care and concern we have for our Team Members who mean so much to us. We know we’re bolder together – and together, we can do great things to create a positive, better world.”
Read the full report and learn more about sustainability at Brinker at brinker.com/commitment.
About Brinker International, Inc.
Brinker International, Inc. (NYSE: EAT) is one of the world’s leading casual dining restaurant companies and home of Chili’s® Grill & Bar, Maggiano’s Little Italy® and two virtual brands: It’s Just Wings® and Maggiano’s® Italian Classics. Founded by Norman Brinker in Dallas, Texas, we’ve ventured far from home, but stayed true to our roots. Brinker owns, operates or franchises more than 1,600 restaurants in 29 countries and two U.S. territories. Our passion is making people feel special, and we hope you feel that passion each time you visit one of our restaurants or invite us into your home through takeout or delivery. Learn more about Brinker and its brands at brinker.com.